Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research (ISSN : 0975-7384)

Reach Us reach to JOCPR whatsapp-JOCPR +44 1625708989
All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Original Articles: 2015 Vol: 7 Issue: 1

Development of chitosan based edible coatings to study Sapota (Manilkara zapota) fruit shelf life


Edible coatings with different proportion of chitosan have been chosen and their effectiveness in sapota quality was investigated. The effects of these coatings on the weight loss, respiration rate, total soluble solids, pH, titratable acidity, ascorbic acid, firmness and decay incidence of coated fruit were studied at 21±1◦C and 75-80% Relative humidity for 14 days. The results revealed a lesser weight loss and respiration rate for the 1.5% chitosan coated fruits followed by 1%, 0.5% chitosan and uncoated fruits, respectively. After two weeks, a lower concentration of total soluble solids (19.57 °Brix) was observed in 1.5% chitosan treated fruit followed by 1% and 0.5% coating in comparison to uncoated (21.09 °Brix). No deterioration was observed in 1.5% chitosan coated sapota, shriveling was observed in 0.5% treatment (<15 %) where the uncoated fruits showed a deterioration of >50 %. The results suggested that using 1.5% chitosan as an edible coating was more effective than 1% and 0.5% in maintaining the quality attributes and visual appearances after 14 days of storage and can extend the post harvest life.